Buy Game Flag
Before using the forum please read and make sure you agree to our Forum Rules. Forum Rules

Home Forums Alpha Test Useless Cannons

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  spheresus 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author
SuspiciousCheese
Participant

Among my group of friends, each person researched a specific tree. I went for cannons. We have never fired them except jokingly at eachother. We have never encountered a hostile ship. The only incident in which our ship was attacked was when my friend s stole from some guy so he jumped onto our ship. Will there be some sort of machine gun implemented at some point for dealing with mantas? Or will there be AI pirates to shoot at?

(Edit: The cannons require too much lead and drop compensation to viable use against mantas. Mantas being the most dangerous thing in the game.

Sethodine
Participant

I see people hit Mantas with cannon all the time (on streams). What you need is a cannon with high Power. More power does not increase damage; it makes the shells fly faster and with a flatter trajectory. This makes it easier to hit those flying flapjaks.

However, there will be other weapons in future builds of the game. Something like a gatling gun, or flak shells, or other such things (no concrete confirmation on specifics yet).

There will never be AI pirates to shoot, but rest assured by Open Beta there will be plenty of very real pirates.

kn1ghtpr1nce
Participant

Also, there are community set up friendly PVP events, and there has been talk of different kinds of cannons.

Strite

In previous tests cannons were pretty laughable but this playtest they’re pretty much spot on IMO. Lower tier cannons are pretty poor (as well they should be) but as you get towards higher tier they get much better. Some have great range and accuracy.

SuspiciousCheese
Participant

Thanks for the advice on the mantas! I’ll have to try it. Do you know of any way to prevent causing splash damage to my ship, or do I just not shoot when they’re close?

Also, about the pirates, how would one actually gain anything from piracy? Wouldn’t the ships just fall into the abyss?

jbaker96
Participant

Don’t quote me on this, but I think ships that fall into the abyss end up wrecked on a random nearby island. I’ve seen evidence that might support that a couple of times on islands without a spawn chamber where there were a couple wrecked frames with most of their components either missing entirely or damaged heavily with no shipyards anywhere on the island (before storms damaged shipyards)

Apocaliptus
Participant

Ummmmm i dont know what you guys are smoking, but cannons are completely useless, high tier tungstene cannons doing over 100 damage can pound a ship and doing nothing because its hitting the invincible frame. Not enough splash damage to even take out panels, its pretty sad when your testing against a floating abondoned ship and you cant even take it down in 40 hits, don’t tell me thats spot on.

kn1ghtpr1nce
Participant

Did you see Strite’s fight club video/livestream? Cannons were able to devestate his ship. Also, they’re useful for killing mantas/beetles

Fureniku

^As @kn1ghtpr1nce said, decent cannons can actually be pretty good. I was on the ship that devastated Strite’s ship, and we had two different cannons – one which could get a shell out every .75 seconds (roughly) and one which successfully hit the enemy ship while it was out of render range (confirmed via stream)

As for your main question; no – there are no plans for fully automatic weapons as far as I’m aware. If you want something like that, I’d suggest putting your faith in RNG to get a high rate of fire cannon. However without high power, you won’t get much range on it.

SuspiciousCheese
Participant

I recently tried this using them against Mantas. I had a tier 4 cannon with approx. 35 power, shot a manta and the manta was rocketed skyward. We were are celebrating when it turned around and started coming for the ship. It was to high up to hit with the cannon. Does power also contribute to damage? I have another tier 4 with approx. 50 power that I could be using. Also, does anyone know where I can find a chart the relates the fire rate stat to an actual unit of time?

(Edit: I heard mention from a friend of different ammo types, and possibly more small arms [ie. rifle, shotgun, etc.) weapons to deal with thuntomites, mantas and players. Are any of these true?)

Sethodine
Participant

In earlier Alpha testing, I have heard that different materials made shells do different damage, but I don’t know the truth in that. Certainly, it is not the case anymore.

All cannon do exactly the same damage right now. However, higher power makes the shells fly faster/flatter, which really helps when trying to hit mantas. And high Rate-of-fire lets you sling more shells, which also improves the chances of hitting and the DPS of cannon.

35 power is nothing to brag about in a Tier 4, and 50 isn’t much better. But with the right materials (like some Quality 10 tungsten), you might be able to boost that up to a respectable level.

There will definitely be new weapons in the future, but so far everything is rumors and speculation. The only weapon even close to confirmation is a Harpoon gun for grappling ships together, (and maybe hunting Sky Whales?) and we still don’t know if/when that will be added into the game.

Strite

The only weapon even close to confirmation is a Harpoon gun for grappling ships together

Well, harpoons are the only other confirmed ship weapon right now but we’ve had confirmation of plenty of new character weaponry being in the works, such as rifles and melee weapons (although melee is still a ways off). Source 1, source 2, regarding melee.

Fenix

The only weapon even close to confirmation is a Harpoon gun for grappling ships together

Yah, harpoons have been pretty much confirmed.

Also this… 🙂

spheresus
Participant

Piracy is useless, you can’t salvage a ship sinking quickly into the abyss. Without a way to surrender cargo how is a player suppose to pirate?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Alpha Test’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Are you sure you want to report this content?

Yes
Add to wishlist button
Bossa Studios logo Improbable logo

Bossa Studios is a multiple award winning independent games developer and publisher happily based in London. We’re the makers of the mega-games Surgeon Simulator, I am Bread and the upcoming MMO Worlds Adrift. Oh, and we’re completely in love with our players (even when they’re angry with us!)

© 2017 Bossa Studios Ltd. Worlds Adrift is a registered trademark of Bossa Studios Ltd. All rights reserved.

EULA – Privacy & Cookies Policy