Forums

Permanent Stash and Surrender Ability

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sh a rp 2 months ago.

Stratosphere
Participant

Every single game in this genre has the same complaints from the player base and they all have mixed reviews because of it. People don’t mind being subject to pvp but they just don’t want to be harassed continuously and they don’t want to lose everything as a result of pvp. Obviously the game would be better with the entire community playing on a single server together but the pve players want a more relaxed play style and to choose pvp when they are ready.

With the servers merged and something like wilderness and remnants being pve, while expanse and badlands are pvp here are my suggestions, 2 features to make it work.

1. A permanent physical stash that can’t be touched. Possibly set up like a buoy floating in the sky, something you have to build and deploy.

2. Surrender ability. Implemented as a part on your ship which when activated shields your ship from cannon fire and protects parts from salvage but also shuts down all engines and unlocks storage boxes.

These 2 feature would allow pirates to plunder but stop them from taking/destroying everything a player has accumulated and worked hard for.

Machine Maker
Participant

Issue here is you don’t ever lose everything. In fact the thing that you worked hardest for can never be taken away. Your schematics. You can never lose those. Mining materials to rebuild is not nearly as time consuming as grinding up knowledge.

Bastion_
Participant

Ok. So let’s say I’m fighting a top crew. They don’t want to lose their ship. They empty all their boxes and hit surrender button. People would just dump their loot into the abyss and surrender. Wouldn’t work.

Stratosphere
Participant

That’s a good point Bastion.

So what if you don’t allow the part to be on a ship with cannons?

Heartnire
Participant

I’m a firm believer, particularly as it applies to videogames, that there can be no thrill of victory without risk (or perceived risk) of failure. If your crew can hit a magic button to keep their ship from being destroyed at any moment, that eliminates a great deal of risk that you and your crew undertake when they go anywhere or do anything. This lack of risk encourages bad habits by stripping away the consequences of risky or bad decision making, and it undermines the meaning of your successes by knowing that they weren’t entirely your own doing.

Likewise, if an attacker or potential attacker realizes that anyone they seek to pirate or sink is essentially immortal, the point of combat, in many cases, is ruined. It’s not just piracy that a surrender button would affect, it’s also warfare- where the objective isn’t necessarily to extract resources and leave in peace.

I understand that there are players and crews out there who sink you just to see you sink, or just to be a sadistic jerk. I know well the frustration and injustice of being maltreated by some weak-minded fool with a keyboard and a headset somewhere, empowered by a lawless videogame. It’s my hope that a more well-rounded Worlds Adrift somewhere in the future- one with a larger playerbase and meaningful, objective-oriented PvP- will have a community that discourages or even brings justice to misbehaving or cruel players, but it should come from the community itself.

I do believe it is the obligation of a developer to quietly and gently incentivize good player conduct and disincentivize awful player conduct through the game’s mechanics, but such a direct hand in the matter as to have a surrender shield feels arbitrary and out of place. It does not mesh with Bossa’s philosophy of natural player interactions and self-management. I can’t say that I 100% agree with a laissez faire philosophy, but there it is.

Also, I don’t wish to shoot down your idea so hard! I don’t mean to come off that way. I think there’s merit to the conversation and it’s good to see fellow players proposing game-changing ideas.

Eranok
Participant

Every single game in this genre has the same complaints from the player base and they all have mixed reviews because of it.

Can you elaborate ? Which game ?

People don’t mind being subject to pvp but they just don’t want to be harassed continuously and they don’t want to lose everything as a result of pvp.

Some people are unlucky in their encounters. Others never meet anyone unfriendly.
Its near impossible to be continuously harassed if you make a plank, it takes 10 minutes to do.
If you plan to make a huge (slow) ship as you have nothing and no one to protect you, consider kubo.
People do like to lose everything, it adds meaning and decision making to the game. Cfr. any survival game or any ARPG (PoE etc) in hardcore, etc. etc.

Obviously the game would be better with the entire community playing on a single server together but the pve players want a more relaxed play style and to choose pvp when they are ready.

PvE players have a more relaxed play and can choose to pvp when they want on kubo. Implementing that on Driss would damage the game. You cannot go for “consensual pvp” in an open world. Crews are imbalanced anyway, there is no fairness by design. Hence merging will be hard. The only solution I see is keeping 2 servers, 100% pvp and 100% pve, with a unique possibility of character transfer from PvE to PvP.

About bank and surrender :
You have a permanent stash, its your belt. There is no belt in other open pvp games
There is the surrender ability : just talk. If you wanna force attackers to be friendly with you, this is limiting the game freedom.

Xuan
Participant

Yep. Not losing the belt content upon death is already amazing. There’s no lore justification to that.
I do appreciate it but I find it weird and it’s prone to exploits.

Stewcha
Participant

i would only like to have some button on ship that can unlock all containers to other players for some time or off/on option because i really hate when i surrender or something and pirates come and start to salvage my ship containers in order to get items inside and to see what i have, they spare me and my ship but my containers are destroyed and its annoying, this way i will be able to open all containers so they can see what i have and take what they want without salvaging my ship xD, this will be nice for flying restaurants, banks, shops, trading and other things.

Orthodox Caveman
Participant

So, basically remove everything that turns the game fun at the moment. The best thing about the game is nothing being permanent. When/if they do that, the game will die. The target audience for this game is probably not the same you’re envisioning.

Buzzard Schuman
Participant

One of the bits I remember from the piratical community in a certain ‘internet spaceships’ game was the whole “honor the surrender/ransom” deal. If the target gave over the demanded ransom, he was turned loose with no further harm done. He may be caught again later, for a separate ransom, but that’s a different encounter.
Of course, if a target didn’t part with the payment, said payment may be harvested from his wreckage.

Still, with pirates honoring the ransom, it makes it easier for the victim to turn over the loot, knowing that it’s a small loss, and not going to be a complete loss. A complete loss due to looting makes it easier for a target to just scuttle the ship, denying an attacker any gain from the encounter.

The change would be on the Community to make it easier to “Just pay the man”, than to add in new game mechanics that … well, how often do new features in here work perfectly? *coughBlightcough*

sh a rp
Participant

2 huge reasons why this is a VERY bad idea exploitation and elimination of Risk&Reward if people can surrender it effectively makes the pvp server a pve server and as the first guy said people can dump loot or take it some place else so pirates will never be able to steal loot from prey overall in my opinion its a very bad idea and undermines the while point of pvp

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Permanent Stash and Surrender Ability’ is closed to new replies.