Buy Game Flag
Before using the forum please read and make sure you agree to our Forum Rules. Forum Rules

Home Forums General Discussion Small ship designs

This topic contains 75 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Magic 1 day, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
Author
Sky Silverwing
Participant

I learned a lot during my adventures in Worlds Adrift as a solo player. It has been several weeks since I started playing and I’ve made several small vessels during my adventures. I’m always trying to come up with small but optimized ship designs to suit my needs.

Here are some ship designs I’ve made during my travels:

There came a point where I realized something. While these ships were small and really cool looking, they were STILL too big in size. The materials needed to build these on my own took too long to gather and doing all the work myself meant staying on an island for too long as well.

My current ship, a box:

Simple but lacks aesthetics and a cannon.

Playing solo definitely requires a small, fast ship. I only carry 1 stack of 1000 wood and 1 stack of 1000 ore in my belt. I knew I had to make something that was so small, that only 1 stack of wood and ore would be sufficient. Sadly ships like that are only meant for traveling purposes and lack the proper defenses against mantas and pirates.

My goal right now is to build a small ship that can house an atlas core, an engine, and 1 cannon near the helm for easy access. At the same time, trying to use large panels for the best resilience possible. It’s really difficult to come up with a ship design with these in mind.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Badtoad
Participant

I have a design called a wing and a prayer. It’s just the smallest raft i can make with two sails one fore and one aft and a single small wing fixed as near to 45 degrees as I can. It looks broken but with a titanium frame, hemlock sails and hemlock wing and 4 hemlock mounted boxes it weighs under 260kg and is so fast and nimble. It can actually loop the loop. Pretty good for sails only. Relaxing and fun too and can hold enough mats to restock my stash after a couple of island visits. Easily outruns pirates and difficult to hit with cannons as it’s so nimble.

Seriously this is the best thing I’ve ever built for gathering mats. So fun to fly too.

Here is a pic of the basic design with no boxes attached.

A Wing and a prayer

All my designs are space efficient.

Here’s my main ship. Believe it or not it has 4 internal engines and 5 guns with space for another 4 or 5 guns easily.

You’ve got some fun designs there too ๐Ÿ™‚

Badtoad
Participant

Something like the top ship here is doable with not too many mats. It’s what I had at tier 2. You can see it’s not much bigger than my old fighter below it and had 2 rear guns and 2 mostly internal engines.

Sky Silverwing
Participant

@badtoad Yeah, I’ve built a few rafts here and there. ๐Ÿ™‚

My rafts had a bottom deck though. How come yours doesn’t have a bottom deck? I don’t see it. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Badtoad
Participant

It does have a bottom deck but it’s moved back as far as I could move it. I can’t remember what colour slider it was now. Just experiment. You’ll find it ๐Ÿ™‚

Badtoad
Participant

I’ve just noticed that none of your designs have vertical wings. Even 1 will make your ships turn much faster. You will probably need two vertical wings to get through the storm wall later on.

Sky Silverwing
Participant

@badtoad Yes that’s correct. I should probably add one. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Vytherium
Participant

Been through storm walls with no wings whatsoever loads of times myself but then I like it in there. lol

Sky Silverwing
Participant

I wish the sky core was a little bit smaller.

Even on a 1 node ship, the sky core still protrudes out through the wooden panels. I can’t increase the length any further either. ๐Ÿ™

Vytherium
Participant

They could really do without plate underneath it

Rahjital
Participant

I also played mostly solo so far, and have gone with an all-or-nothing approach – no guns, no armour, all speed. Cedar wood, tin (mainly because I haven’t been able to find enough titanium and aluminium yet), and as many engines as a glorified dinghy can take. Unfortunately, the only screenshot I managed to take was this one:

Basically it’s a triangle, wide at the back to make room for more engines, and narrow at the front to save weight. Even with my first and fairly weak T2 engines, it would reach another island before I could fight off a manta attack.

Also, diagonal wings act both as horizontal and vertical wings. That’s another way you can save some weight.

Badtoad
Participant

The general consensus is the plate is there ensure ships have a minimum size. Equally, once you have several sky core upgrades bolted onto the plate they more than fill it.

Sky Silverwing
Participant

Here is my new and improved raft, it’s 295kg in weight and looks nice. ๐Ÿ™‚ I used a combination of aluminum, tin and hemlock.

This picture is a tiny bit old, I moved up the helm all the way to the front after I took the picture. Thinking about it, I could probably put a cannon on this thing haha.

Vytherium
Participant

The plate does not ensure that because you can fit them onto quite small frames if you don’t mind the plate sticking out everywhere through your hull. (safety wise doesnt matter since your ship will be fragile as a small frig anyway) The only thing it ensures is a mild limitation on ship design if you can’t stand that lol

Plus didn’t we get some chatter about smaller less effective cores being a thing?

Sky Silverwing
Participant

Some of my ship designs in the OP aren’t usable anymore. I think one of the updates made it so you couldn’t place the engine on top of the sky core plate. Which sucks because that enabled me to make some cool ship designs lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

@vytherium I hope we get smaller sky cores. That would be great for smaller builds. Maybe a sky core that supports a weight of 500kg. My new raft weighs near 300kg and I have no idea what to use the other 700kg for. ๐Ÿ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Are you sure you want to report this content?

Yes
Add to wishlist button
Bossa Studios logo Improbable logo

Bossa Studios is a multiple award winning independent games developer and publisher happily based in London. We’re the makers of the mega-games Surgeon Simulator, I am Bread and the upcoming MMO Worlds Adrift. Oh, and we’re completely in love with our players (even when they’re angry with us!)

ยฉ 2017ย Bossa Studios Ltd. Worlds Adriftย is a registered trademark of Bossa Studios Ltd. All rights reserved.

EULA –ย Privacy & Cookies Policy