Forums

Physics and the Path Ahead

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  maliciouss one 6 months ago.

Fiffin
Participant

How much better would this game run if it wasn’t tracking physics for every little part of your ship?

Suppose the skycore was a single piece and the upgrades functioned through the interface like ciphers. Or if there was single storage unit that you could upgrade, based on weight instead of slots. Lamp and flag decorations provided no collision or defense. Or if the panels and decks of your ship were combined with the frame into a single Hull? And so on.

Obesitybee
Participant

The game would have been done already and the devs would be working on expansions

Fiffin
Participant

Saw a gameplay trailer for another mmo and its smooth airship battle immediately reminded me of this, what Worlds Adrift might be if the engine wasn’t tracking two hundred pieces per ship.

SoporificDonkey
Participant

I’m pretty sure they optimised the game in such a way that any physics objects that are on a airship are combined into a single physics object (with compound colliders made up of the original parts). Then they only need to sync the position of the ship and record damage to the constituent parts. Once a part has taken too much damage it is turned back into its own physics object.

I think if it wasn’t this way, when you have a lag spike that makes your character fall off the airship the individual parts of the ship would move weirdly too.

Most of the issues you see is likely due to the inherent issues of trying to sync accurate physics in general.

Fiffin
Participant

I think if it wasn’t this way, when you have a lag spike that makes your character fall off the airship the individual parts of the ship would move weirdly too.

This is the suspected cause of random damage and ships falling from the sky – like parts bisecting your skycore.

tberry
Participant

This is the suspected cause of random damage and ships falling from the sky – like parts bisecting your skycore.

This can be usually avoided by minimizing clipping or avoiding it completely. Sometimes it can’t be helped, but it is one of the main causes. I’ve witnessed it twice now, yet people still seem to deny it.

Obesitybee
Participant

You know I wouldn’t have cared if Worlds Adrift had the same graphics as World of Warcraft. This physics stuff is overblown.

Xuan
Participant

Well, physics is what makes WA different from other games. I’ve seen vids of ships fights in AIR and it looks ridiculous with ships (built like ships and not boxes) strafing…

Captain Crash
Participant

Agreed, without the physics of WA it would almost be exactly like AIR or Atlas. Maybe some of you would enjoy those games, but if WA meets its potential, there would be no comparison. They lack the quality WA dares to achieve…

A physics mmo to the likes of WA IS the future, if we can assume any rate of improvement, then eventually games will be like the matrix…so WA is an important addition to games in general in dealing with its ambition (AYE BOSSA)

But if the task is too demanding presently, What qualities of WA would you want to be sacrificed? What’s the best move to ensure WA existance?

Xuan
Participant

Better servers and an up to date framework?

Captain Crash
Participant

I don’t think the servers are the issue. If I’m not mistaken, i think its because WA has a LOT to compute and weighs heavy on the “state of the art” servers of improbable. There’s a couple of different games (or at least 1 other) that uses improbable without the strain that WA causes.

Who knows what lies on the path ahead…
I really do miss the frequency of updates we were getting before the company had to..resize. Hopefully that just means their super busy atm crunching the numbers.

If you see any of the bossa employees at your local pub, buy em a round and let em hit the spliff wontcha…

Eranok
Participant

Its lagging because
– Map is not clean at all, big unnecessary backlogs. Wipe schedule needed.
– Gameobjects textures and particles handling but that is probably fixed. They worked a lot on it.
– Gameobjects rendering/buffering/memory management. Highly dependant on improbable layer, hard to fix.
– AWS unstable EU connections on US servers

With wipe schedule, game quality should be acceptable given recent patches

TheShadowSage
Participant

I think without all the physics the game could potentially run a little more smoothly factoring in the latency, but some of the best battles I’ve experience have been physics related. For example: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/392122893

I wouldn’t say it’s all bad, but it’s not all good either. Depending on how things turn out within the next few months may determine whether or not I’ll begin journeying towards another frontier.

Captain Crash
Participant

Where ever the game ends up mechanically wise, another thing that seemed to work in nms was a console release. If possible its an option to sell more tickets… The next generation of consoles are around the corner and now would be a good time to start looking at what the next ps and xbox can do, and google’s stadia is coming too right?

There’s your help to commercial success.

El Whoops
Participant

There’s your help to commercial success.

So, you are saying: “If nobody owning a PC gives a flying fart about this game, let’s put an immense load of work into a console portation and hope that these guys do!” ???

Please remember, that people did not take this game for free. How many keys did they give out to the founders? I had to put quite some effort into getting rid of mine.
How many of you still have it?

Its lagging because…

Well, they had 3 million ship entities, so … no.
On a more depressing note – if this game really had 3 million single entities then yes, it is tracking/processing every single part individually.
There’s no way in hell that there were ever 3 million ships built, since the last wipe.

Well, physics is what makes WA different from other games

I don’t think they have to get rid of much you will miss. That’s the crux of the whole physics fiasco.
You tarzaning around is actually processed client side. But the things the servers do have much load and not that great of a benefit.

Do you remember your starting boat? Do you remember almost tilting the sodding thing when you grappled the top of the mast? do you remember that ever since?
But of course it also has to be processed for 6 ton ships. So, they better take the actual physics out and give you a little prefabricated buckle for like 3°.
Very small processor load, same effect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Physics and the Path Ahead’ is closed to new replies.