Buy Now

Forums

Have to wonder about gliders. o,O Speculation thread because I didnt see one!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Strite 3 years, 5 months ago.

Fluttershy
Participant

So what all is there to know about gliders? I’ve scoured the forums a few times, and a large part of what did intrigue me about this game was the aspect that could strap a glider on, and jump to and from an airship. Or even do potentially more with them. So I’ve got to wonder how exactly will they work? All in all feel free to speculate!

I’ve already read on the forums that you won’t begin with one. So that leaves the grappling hook, and airship as the initial forms of transportation.

So once one does have a glider, could they in theory ride for an indefinite distance if you hit the right thermal? Or is it more likely that if anything you’ll just hit a down draft as previously mentioned in other threads that might send you to your death? (for example the record for hang gliding was approximately 475 miles) And would this perhaps in some fashion remove the need to rely on an airship from going from one destination to the other? Also I’ve got to wonder, will there be some sort of time limit for how long you can glide? (Thinking of Arch Age here, where gliding was on of my favorite things to do… I’d frequently run out of time mid air, but have on a few occasions been able to recast my glider while flying to stop my otherwise inevitable death) Also how exactly will gliders handle? Will it be mouse controlled, keyboard controlled, some combination of both? Moreso what sort of customization do you all think to see… will you just have visual customization or something more?

What do you all know (that you can disclose without breaking NDA!) or what do you all think about the subject?

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Hello!

It’s good to know you’ve at least looked for some of these answers on the forums already πŸ˜€ Obviously our knowledge of game mechanics is limited to what we’ve seen in vids/screenshots and what we’ve been told by Bossa at this point. Those who were fortunate enough to get their hands on the game in wave 1 of the alpha obviously can’t share anything with us as that would be breaching NDA but it’s probably unlikely that anyone got around to crafting the glider during the test anyhow since it only lasted for four hours and for a good chunk of that time trees could not be chopped down which prevented them from building much at all.

So, with all that said at the moment it’s all purely speculation. I’d imagine we’ll see some glider customization, whether that’s limited to say wing color or whether we’ll be able to add emblems and maybe even customize the frame remains to be seen. Regarding the controls, I’m not sure if anyone is likely to have played the Glyder games on mobile devices but I think they handled gliding pretty well, using thermal updrafts and the like to boost your height, I’m not big on mobile gaming but I did enjoy those titles. I can’t imagine they’ll have a time limit on the glider but it’s not really meant to be used for long distance travel.

Anyhow, the grapple and the glider go hand in hand in my opinion and I can’t wait to start pulling off some awesome manoeuvre’s by pairing the two πŸ˜€

day0x
Participant

I know for a fact that when I was watching a stream, Charlotte confirmed that the Glider is deployed with the Space Bar, however I didn’t think to ask how it was controlled. I believe from what I have seen, the players have been able to look around when using the glider, so I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that the camera is mouse controlled while the player is gliding, the glider itself being controlled by WASD. However don’t take my word for it as there is always the possibility that the glider is mouse controlled and the camera can be freely used much like how holding Right Click in BattleField 4 allowed the pilot to look around and not straight ahead.

Like I say this isn’t confirmed this is just what I have thought and most of this is assumption based. Besides Space to deploy, that is confirmed.

Charlotte Claw
Participant

Ello !

SO baring in mind the controls will/maybe/possibly/might change, the current way is space deploys/retracts the glider. You can look around with the mouse and WASD will control it. Very much like a plane, W will make you nose dive, A and D will turn you and S will pitch your nose up (BUT YOU CAN STALL AND START TO FALL).

That is how it is so far. But as I said, it will probs get refined down the line, but we are fairly happy with it πŸ™‚

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Awesome, pretty much how I imagined it then tbh but the option for mouse control would be nice πŸ™‚ Anyhow, thanks Charlotte.

Fluttershy
Participant

Awesome! Like Strite said, this is similar to how I imagined it being. I can’t wait to try it out for myself xD

MentalGnat
Participant

Was wondering about this myself thought it would be like that, really can’t wait to try this game out.

Wardjp
Participant

A point that seems a bit vague still though, should we always expect to be in a constant descent with it? Such as in Archeage, where you do have a booster, but other than that, it’s almost impossible to get higher than where you started through normal means.

Charlotte Claw
Participant

Hello friend! Interesting question.
In game you do descend, as anyone would. However! We are planning on these working pretty much JUST like they would IRL. With pockets of warm air or current etc, you may just get a lift (I’m not a weather girl… Is that how it works)? But I believe that’s going to be a thing. Will control the clouds too!
Important to remember we want to encourage ship building ofc. It would be a bit OP if you could glide from island to island so you will auto descend unless a current is found.
But I think it’s going to be pretty exciting!

Wardjp
Participant

Hey Charlotte, thanks for the quick response! That would actually be pretty amazing, I completely agree, being able to infinitely glide would be a little game breaking and destroy the challenge of the airship. Your explanation, though, spot on, that would add a layer to the unparalleled by any other. I love gliding after playing Archeage, but in a sense, it feels so linear when you look at it from a physics perspective, and to add a layer of depth by adding pockets of warm that we could hit (by chance or skill? Who knows yet!) to have the opportunity to maybe get a nice boost. I look forward to seeing more about it! Also, love the steampunk outfit!

Charlotte Claw
Participant

Thank you friend!
I do try my best to be informative (despite my lack of physics knowledge)!
I find the glider to be one of my favourite features currently. It’s very soothing to just glide around and look at the sun set.
And thanks! It’s my Worlds outfit!

Charlotte Claw
Participant

I forgot to mention that even though it’s soothing to glide and look at the sun set, I am usually slowly gliding to my death also…
Gotta take the good with the bad I guess!

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Good info Charlotte πŸ™‚ Again, pretty much as I expected πŸ˜€ Glad you can’t glide ‘forever’ since, as has already been mentioned, that’d kind of make building an airship rather pointless.

JellyPickles
Participant

Wow, catching updrafts/thermals in a glider would be amazing. Can you imagine scaling one of those insane storefronts?

By the way, how heavily are the ships affected by updrafts and such?

DarioZ
Participant

Would be wonderful (as glider licensed pilot) to have a realistic gliding environement! Nothing too complicated but with few key concepts you can get the 95% of realism in gliding, while keeping an immediate approach to the game!

Would love such feature!

I can’t even imagine the possibilities of gliding + ledge grabbing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.