Buy Now

Forums

Engine performance and damage

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Angus_Omega 2 years, 1 month ago.

novamonk
Participant

Also, after reading the Ship Coupling/Towing thread(http://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/ship-couplingtowing-and-motherships/) could players make an ad-hoc system that would resemble @rodrigo Monteiro’s comment?

Personally, I also love the idea of being able to build lots of different gauges for all the different engines, and having fine control over the throttle (and maybe fuel mixture!) of each engine.

So while multiple ships are harpooned/docked together you could have fine tuned control based on each ship controlling their own thrust? In a way of creating controllable throttle? 😀

Fenix

Much thanks for your responses! I’m very much in agreement with you, @rodrigo-monteiro I too want my bridge and airship corridors to be covered in gauges! Having fine control over the engines like you mentioned would e wonderful as an optional feature for the players who want to go that deep! Count me among them! I understand this is a ways off but am happy that it’s on the “we want to do this” list.

Another few questions, related to @novamonk‘s:

Does engine orientation affect maneuverability?
-If I mount engines vertical, will I be able to ascend/descend quicker?
-If I mount engines in reverse, will I be able to stop/reverse quicker?
-Are a minimum of two engines needed to make simple turns? Or can rudders supplement a single engine?

Are engines of the “puller” type only? Or can they be “pushers”? (currently I’ve only seen pullers in gameplay footage)

Rodrigo Monteiro
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

>So while multiple ships are harpooned/docked together you could have fine tuned control based on each ship controlling their own thrust? In a way of creating controllable throttle?
I can’t even begin to imagine how you’d set that up! Please do share your thoughts, though. 🙂

>Does engine orientation affect maneuverability?
I think that this is an open design question, but currently they don’t.

>If I mount engines vertical, will I be able to ascend/descend quicker?
Yes.

>If I mount engines in reverse, will I be able to stop/reverse quicker?
Yes.

>Are a minimum of two engines needed to make simple turns? Or can rudders supplement a single engine?
No, the ship cores provide torque to the ship, so it can rotate even in-place (I call them “reaction wheels” in the code because of the kind of person I am :)). You can also use wings and rudders to improve manoeuvrability while flying.

>Are engines of the “puller” type only? Or can they be “pushers”?
Currently the engines provide full “puller” power and 20% “pusher” power, i.e. all engines are reversible, but not at full efficiency. I think that there are open design questions surrounding this, though.

Fenix

Cool!

>So while multiple ships are harpooned/docked together you could have fine tuned control based on each ship controlling their own thrust? In a way of creating controllable throttle?
I can’t even begin to imagine how you’d set that up! Please do share your thoughts, though. 🙂

If I read that right, did you mean controlling the collection of connected ships like a single unit?

If so, coordination would be key for starters. Assuming the ships would still be their own separate entities, then you would need a way to assume control over each “child” ship’s helm. Maybe some kind of device could be attached to the helms which slaves it to a remote controlling secondary helm installed on the “parent” ship. This could be a wireless radio type device, or maybe a special harpoon variation that literally “plugs” into the child helms and physically links it up with the parent ones.

That kinda gives me a cool image of the main bridge having multiple helms, each one responsible for a subset of engines – in this case one helm for the engines on a single “child” ship linked to the whole. Perhaps in the future, this concept could be used on single “regular” ships: having multiple helms dedicated to a subset of the ship’s engine complement.

novamonk
Participant

>>So while multiple ships are harpooned/docked together you could have fine tuned control based on each ship controlling their own thrust? In a way of creating controllable throttle?
>I can’t even begin to imagine how you’d set that up! Please do share your thoughts, though. 🙂

I like @fenix description, and if there could be remote controls for devices, I think that would be best. I also like the idea of a bridge with multiple crew members.

In my head I was thinking of something along the lines oh how the engines worked in the book Leviathan(by Scott Westerfield). They have engines strapped to skywhale(essentially) and they have teams on each engine. The teams have to work together on different maneuvers.

In this case, the individual ships would act as the different engines. Captains would act as the pilots. By vectoring thrust, and working together, the individual ships would allow the larger vessel to be much more agile than it should be. Possibly similar to how tugboats work with container ships.

Below is a diagram of water pump jet that would be similar.

Then you could potentially increase the number of “Engine” airships, and the maneuvering would be in 3 dimensions instead of just 2.

This idea does have a lot of potential problems:
-Communicating between “Engines”
-Incorrect maneuvers resulting in collisions
-How much stress this would put on the game engine
-How rigid would the harpoon/connections be between ships
-Would make the mothership more dependent on other crews for propulsion

But I think it would be fun to try. I don’t know if it would be worth it, but I think it could be fun for groups having dedicated designs for ships to be be engines/tugboats for motherships.

mace9
Participant

that would be sweet!
i would just have 4 pilots all harpooned together pulling a firing platform position
this game is going to ROCK even if only half the stuff we talk about makes it into it ;D

shad3ow
Participant

So nothing is ever lost?… So where do things go and/or what happens to things that fall down under the clouds? Is there a ground?!! I was under the impression that the game world was on floating islands, and anything above or below this plane of islands would be invisible walls or nothing….

So how will it work?!! OMG You just opened up a whole new avenue of expectation in my mind Charlotte! lol

As for the engines, are they necessary? Could you create a ship just with propellers?… Maybe make them ‘manpowered’ so the crew would have to pedal? 😀

And what is the range of customization in terms of building engines? Could we theoretically piece together advanced pieces to create a sort of warp-drive? Or a super engine with dozens of cobbled together pieces? What are the limits?

And will there be arbitrarily named engine pieces or will we actually be able to learn a bit about how IRL engines work by playing with in-game engines?

Questionsquestions… I want to KNOW!! 😛

And OMG YEEESS @novamonk!!! Leviathan is a GREAT example! Will be able control (or have the our crew) control different engines separately?!
Like, each engine has its own on/off state, and you can activate it by either pressing a button on the dash/wheel or manually on the engine. Even if each engine allows some degree of forward thrust, a person can manually turn that particular engine (that its orientation allows) to thrust in a certain direction. Or do it all remotely…

Charlotte Claw
Participant

SO many questions!
But as I am a simple person, I WILL ANSWER THE EASY ONES.

In terms of where things go, you will have to find that out yourself! We don’t like walls….
Engines SO FAR are needed as we haven’t implemented any other sort of propulsion. But I imagine if we did put propellers in, you would be able to drive the ship with these (if slow).
Engines will be built of multiple parts. So the blades, the casing, the wires and what not etc. These can be made out of any combination of metal but obviously some metals will be better suited than others! That’s for you to find out yourself! You then combine these pieces to make a whole engine. There are different ways to make your engine much better! But I won’t tell you that JUST YET.

There are just some things I can’t answer. Rodrigo comment plix???

day0x
Participant

What if we were able to rotate engines, that way we could stick them vertically for a fast ascent and then rotate them 90 degrees so we can go forward.

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Alternative forms of propulsion could be cool. Propellers for example could provide strong vertical thrust but as you said @charlotte-claw they wouldn’t provide as much forward momentum as standard engines. Balloons would also be sweet, similar to how a Zeppelin works. Again, balloons could work great for vertical momentum but would be a big target for assailants. Obviously I’m just brainstorming here, making sure the engines currently in work effectively is priority but the possibilities really are endless 😀

Charlotte Claw
Participant

Yeah. Thing is we will have wind currents etc. Sadly the maths and technical stuff for sails, balloons etc is VERY complicated. It would be cool to have them, but programming wise, it’s not on the books for now.

Fenix

Propellers and ducted fan blades would be nice additions to the propulsion options. Though I would rather have the ability to place them in any orientation as with the current engines. That would give builders a lot of freedom and creativity when designing ships.

Dusty
Participant

I was going to make a post about using good old fashioned wind and sails as propulsion instead of engines. But it looks like it already got covered. Sad that this won’t be able to be included any time soon.

Enin
Participant

Having greater editing capability would really open some doors for designers.

at higher tech levels maybe custom controls on certain fins and engines.

For example, engines that only turn on when you’re reversing to increase deceleration or a “nitro boost” switch we can press to activate back up engines when we need a speed increase.

This combined with the ability to angle parts either while making the ship
or
having control surfaces so the engines can be aimed up or down, or rotated from faster turning 🙂

Craftcoat
Participant

Overheated engines normaly just stop working.

For an engine working with heat you need temperature differences…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.