Forums

Creative Writing Contest – AMAZING PRIZE!

This topic contains 49 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Inkpunk 3 years, 1 month ago.

Poppy Byron
Participant
Staff
Staff

Hey there everyone.

To celebrate the launch of this brand new forum (and to celebrate the creativity that we’ve already seen from some of you), we’ve decided to create a creative writing competition with an amazing prize – the winner will see their piece included in the final game as a piece of discoverable lore!

You can write a story, poem, script – whatever you choose, as long as you stick to the word limit, and the piece is focused on Worlds Adrift lore.

Here are the details for you…

When

The contest will run from 12th January – 9th February. You need to have posted your entries in this forum by midnight UK time (GMT) on the 9th February.

How do I enter?

Create a brand new post in this forum. Put this at the front of your title [CONTEST] so we know you’ve entered.

Rules

• Stories are limited to 500 words and must be in English. Only one entry per person, so make it your best! Submissions must be the sole work of the author.
  • Entries will be judged by a creative committee which will include the games’s professional writer.
  • The winner will see their piece included in the final game as a piece of discoverable lore!
  • We will provide two prompts that entrants can use for inspiration, but entrants are not limited to using these, as long as their story is set in the universe of Worlds Adrift.
  • If you cheat and copy someone else’s work, we will find out and disqualify you!

Here are your two prompts for inspiration:

Prompt Option 1

Saborian Architecture, Pre-Event

(Saborian architecture, pre-event)

Prompt Option 2

Extract #4

Well, I’m probably the only one who actually has dealings with the so-called “ant-men”. Truth is, it makes them sound like the Wahsili or something – a sub-human species roving about the place. But of course they aren’t.

I, Nabob Trelown, benefactor of the much-loved Shoemaker stilt team, winners of the third, sixteenth and forty-first Ten-Rui challenges, am a friend of the people of the Night Lands. I have been for many years.

The Night Lands are unusual, that is certain. A bleak grey mudflat on which little may grow. In the dim light, it maybe easy to mistake the shadowy shapes of its people for termites, their industrious ways, their tall delicate hive-like buildings hewn out of the canyons of mud.

Not least the similarity to ants extends to the clothing they wear. Their hats have very long thin plumes of the migratory Avowettle, a bird with a long curled beak that likes to probe the mud. From afar these look like antennae or some such.

The people of the Night Lands are happy to exchange gold, which is abundant here, for food. Little of remark can be eaten here but the honey of the mud bee. The Night Landers refuse to eat fish, but enjoy wines and sweetened curd. I believe their language has things in common with the Tarrery over the mountains.

Enin
Participant

May I write a book of Poetry?

Or are you looking specifically for a “story” ???

Could I write a story that rhymes?

Poppy Byron
Participant
Staff
Staff

As long as it’s under 500 words and in English, you’re free to write whatever you wish.

Enin
Participant

So Could I do a Post-event piece?

Something from a few decades ago or something fairly modern?

Or are you looking for something older, so it was written during or even before the event that has caused Worlds Adrift to be a place of floating islands in the sky?

Poppy Byron
Participant
Staff
Staff

Hey there @enin!

As the winning entry will feature in the game’s lore (history), it would need to be from the past. 🙂

DomeAcolyte
Participant

That 500 word limit is such a shame. The prize sounds amazing, but I can’t picture writing a decent story that short.

day0x
Participant

You’d be surprised what you can achieve with 500 words 😛 You’ll see

greeneye
Participant

It is kinda sad that i do not possess enough information in this kind of world to actually make something that seems to be a part of the world.

I did try to write something using the information i got from the alpha testing videos but that was about it.

Would it be possible that I can get a bit more information on their culture or perhaps I can create my own culture?

Fenjer
Participant

I think the winner should also have access to the next alpha test 🙂 !

Matt Cook
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Hello. Feel free to do your own thing. You won’t be penalised for non-conformity, or lack of context. This is a writing competition, and the best bit of writing will triumph.

My suggestion (to all entrants) would be to free yourself from all but the most obvious pillars of fact you have seen in the images and information about the game, and even then, do not feel you need to present all or any of those (e.g skyships, creatures).

Channel your subconscious, and out may come the spirit of a place, and that will be enough. Above all be brave, and good luck!

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

@fenjer I think getting your writing into the game should be reward enough tbh, but that’s just my opinion 😉

Thanks for the clarification @matt-cook, I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! I might even have a crack at it myself 🙂

Poppy Byron
Participant
Staff
Staff

@greeneye – as Matt Cook said above, feel free to do your own thing. 🙂

Draumal
Participant

I would -really- love to do this, but I have very little idea of what the game is about.. Otherwise, I would pounce on this. I mean, I’ve been reading around on the game, guess I should check out the rest of the forums.

Fenjer
Participant

@strite Yeah I know it’s an awesome prize, I shouldn’t be too greedy about it. It just seems weird to me that people create stories about a game they haven’t eve played, that really shows how much hype we have for the game! 🙂

yuripsycho
Participant

I’M IN!!
btw my grammar sucks brick, but i will try
but i have to admit, 500 word is just too small. if you can expense it to be maybe 700. it will be much appreciated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Creative Writing Contest – AMAZING PRIZE!’ is closed to new replies.