Buy Now

Forums

30 minute designer walkthrough.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Vorender 3 years, 7 months ago.

Luke Williams
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

So to give you all a bit of an insight into our current progress of the game, I gave Destructoid.com a 30 minute walkthrough of the game. You’ll no doubt find something interesting in there!

30 minute designer walkthrough

Fenix

So the hull plating automatically wraps to the frame, eh? Very cool. Will there be additional tools or ways to fine tune this? I saw several instances where there were large gaps – like when you were looking out a window, the panel had a huge seam between it and the next plate. Or will it simply be based on how close you fit the plates before they wrap?

Just double checking, regarding ship cores: do you need to place them (reasonably) evenly spaced about the ship? If you don’t, and for example place all cores at the very front, will the ship list?

Gauges look great! Hope we can have more, even if they’re mostly pointless. Love having loads of different looking dials and instruments everywhere 🙂

So do you gain “knowledge” by photographing ship components that others have built?

Thanks for sharing!

Vick-Viper89

STOP SHOWING ME THINGS THAT MAKE ME WANT IT MORE!

Luke Williams
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

1. There’s a gap purely because I didn’t place them close enough together, again it’s completely free form placement of everything on the ship.

2. Right now you can place them anywhere, though there will likely be an exclusion radius around each one, purely for balance reasons. The placement of the cores currently has no effect on how the ship floats.

3. You don’t gain knowledge from ship parts necessarily, but more the fauna, animals and their behaviours, also discovering historical texts and lore.

ExoValdes
Participant

Really liking the research system, simulating actual research in a game is awesome!

Ryouji
Participant

Oh man! Terribly excited. Your mentions of alpha and beta also rocks. I would love to be selected for something like that, I can add it to my long list of alphas and betas I’ve participated in.

Not to mention the fact that my very nature is to explore every nook and cranny of a game, (literally with a fine tooth comb). Glitches and bugs cannot hide from my discerning eyes. Fuah hah hah.

Of course, I’d never beg to be selected, lol, that’s poor form! It would be an honor, though.

What you have right now looks really good, and I would totally love wandering the world as is. I think you guys have something epic, and wish you the best! >.<

One day I will captain the skies!

Fenix

Thanks for clarifying, Luke!

In the future, perhaps cores could affect how a ship balances, even if only when lost. By that I mean if a core is damaged and the remaining ones wouldn’t be enough to support the entire ship, then it begins to list and sink. Hmm, perhaps another instrument could be made to show overall Atlas lift power for the ship?

Howl
Participant

Oh goodness I am way to excited for this, I can’t wait to be able to get a chance to make my ship and yeah :3 I’m going to be such a hoarder of stuff…
“captain! we can’t take all them crates! they’re too heavy!”

-several minutes of attatching lifters later

“you were saying?”

novamonk
Participant

@howl

“But Captain, we can only attach so many lifters to the other lifters!”

kinxer
Participant

I love all the things everyone else has said, but I think I’m most impressed with the grappling mechanics. The click-and-drag method for providing better accuracy with grappling looks incredibly effective, much better than the aiming system in, for example, Just Cause 2. Also, the persistent momentum thing you’ve got going on which allows flips is really awesome. I’m definitely looking forward to building a ridiculous ship which constantly tests my grappling skill…

icarus
Participant

Enjoyed watching that. Explained a lot about the game I wasn’t aware of.

Looking forward to seeing the hijinks/shenanigans that carriers could create.

Hoping to see character animations for players ‘running’ along the side of a cliff (instead of impacting it) – as it would make sense a grappler would try to keep themselves moving in the general direction they were moving.

Strite
Keymaster
Staff
Staff

Great video. It’s so refreshing to see such a lengthy, insightful gameplay vid so early in development! Unfortunately a lot of devs simply don’t get that transparency with your playerbase builds trust and the earlier you can start doing that the better. I’d much rather see footage of a game throughout its development, even during the early pre-alpha stages, than the devs keeping stuff under wraps until the very last minute.

ardune
Participant

Nice video. Are all ships started with that skeleton structure? Or is there an option to be more free-form?

crazystray
Participant

So, I have been following the newsletter and had a passing fascination with the concepts for this game. This video just brought everything home. Now I want to play, badly. This sort of free form game is exactly what I think is needed, the emergent gameplay encouraged by this is amazing. I look forward to the creativity with which people will discover techniques and strategies, and the elation and tears that will come from a real risk vs reward system. Keep doing what you do, and please deliver on this dream!

Vorender
Participant

Moved to suggestion forum. Sorry!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.